02 April, 2009

So What's It Gonna Be?

Predictions are in for your 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates, and things aren't looking so rosy...

Buster Olney of ESPN: 62-100, 6th Place NL Central.

Albert Chen of CNNSI: 64-98, 6th Place NL Central.

Doc Emrick is not pleased.

This seems to be the consensus among most of baseball's "experts." Your 2009 Pittsburgh Pirates are on their way to their record-setting 17th consecutive losing season, and in the process most see them being the worst team in baseball. Ouch. But who can blame them? There's not one player in the Bucs' lineup that sends fear into opposing pitchers. There's no dominant starting pitcher who can be counted on to shut down the other team. The bullpen is full of guys with upside and not much else. All these years and it's still hard to be a Pittsburgh Pirates fan. I want to be a realist when it comes to the Bucs, but every year they somehow suck me in and keep me interested, if only until the middle of June. As much as I try to be objective, there's still that tiny glimmer of hope I hold that feels the Pirates will not be a cellar dweller this season. I'm not predicting a winning season by any means, but 72-75 wins might be a possibility. In a city that's home to a football team whose season is deemed a failure if they don't win the Super Bowl, it's pretty depressing that a 75-win year by the baseball club is deemed as overachieving.

3 comments:

  1. well the mighty pirates lost to Manatee Community College today 6-4. But give them a break it wasnt the current Buccos oh no no no it was the "top prospects" in the minor league system. Things are really starting to look up around here in the Burgh. How in the blue fucking hell do "top prospects" lose to a bunch of hacks in community college. unreal. Dave Littlefield should be thrown in jail for life with the fucking bullshit trades and even bigger bullshit drafts. Burn in hell Dave...burn in hell.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Littlefield is an interesting character. I want to say that it was 4 years ago, but I was attending Piratefest (tradition) and I was ready to go up to him and tell him what I thought (he's a gutless cocksucker who deserves hit by a bus that had aids) but he gave me that sly Vince McMahon like smile and began shooting the shit. I look at him the same way I look at George W Bush - I wish they both had different jobs, because without ANY responsibility, they are guys you'd want to crack a beer with. Give them any command, and you're fucked.

    Root root root for our home team, a new Pirate generation - everybody shout, LETS GO BUCS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Why did they send the guy that ended spring ball with 6 straight hits to the minors?

    ReplyDelete